- Introduction:
Why is it important for health and wellness professionals to develop psychologically, spiritually and physically? What areas do you need to develop to achieve the goals you have for yourself?
It is important for health and wellness professionals to continue to develop psychologically, spiritually and physically because the overall idea within health care is to care for human beings in a complete and thorough way. Professional cannot do that if they themselves do not strive for total care of themselves. One cannot give away what they have not acquired; in this case health and wellness (Dacher, 2006). It is through psychological, spiritual and physical evolution that the professional now has something to give. For me, To achieve my goals personally and professionally I need to continue to evolve in all areas mentioned. Psychologically, I aim for balance and serenity. I continue to develop through the use of meditative and visualization practices (Dacher, 2006). Spiritually, I have a solid relationship with my higher power whom I chose to call God. This relationship grows daily through prayer/communication. Physically I struggle a bit. It is not that I am not active, I am just not doing things outside of my normal routine. To remedy this I have joined my local gym and will start with a trainer in a few week.
- Assessment:
How have you assessed your health in each domain? How do you score your wellness spiritually, physically, and psychologically?
The way I assess my health psychologically is in how balanced I feel and my serenity level. If I feel stressed or anxious with no real direction within it I know I am not balanced. If I feel awkward or generally uncomfortable I know I am lacking serenity. When either of these issues arise I turn to prayer and meditative practice to help rebalance and find peace. I score my wellness in this domain relatively high as of now.
Assessing my health spirituality is based off a feeling. If I feel disconnected with my higher power, I pray. For me it is that simple. I score my wellness in this domain relatively high as of now.
My physical health is assessed not simply by the lack of illness or pain. It is assessed by how I feel overall. Do I feel good? Do I feel I am getting enough exercise? Am I comfortable in my skin so to speak? If feel balanced physically overall, I continue what I have been doing to achieve this balance. If I do not, as I do not know, I take some time to figure out what area of myself physically is lacking and devise a plan to focus on that area. For example, if I am feeling tired more than normal I will start walking in the evening to see if I can infuse my body with some positive energy. I score my wellness in this domain as moderate. Meaning, I have plans to move forward in this area, but currently I feel a bit stagnant.
- Goal development:
List at least one goal you have for yourself in each area, Physical, Psychological (mental health) and Spiritual. - Practices for personal health:
What strategies can you implement to foster growth in each of the following domains; Physical, Psychological, and Spiritual. Provide at least two examples of exercises or practices in each domain. Explain how you will implement each example.
I have answered III and IV together below;
I do have goals in each aspect of my life, physical, psychological and spiritual.
Psychologically, my goal is to gain peace and stillness within as well as to develop more kindness and patience. One thing I can do to achieve this goal is to incorporate a visualization practice in to my daily meditative routine. Another way I can move towards this goal is to practice yoga on a regular basis again. This has always helped my still my mind.
Spiritually, my goal is to deepen my connection with my higher power. One way for me to do that is to build faith in him. To rely on him and to ask for what I need. A second way for me to do this is by continuing to pray; but in those prayers asking him to be closer to him.
Physically, my goal is to feel physically fit again. I am healthy and doing well physically, I would just like to take it to the next level. Two ways I have committed to fostering my growth towards this goal is by joining the gym and getting a personal trainer.
- Commitment:
How will you assess your progress or lack of progress in the next six months? What strategies can you use to assist in maintaining your long-term practices for health and wellness?
Over the course of the next six months I plan on checking in on my goals once a month. I have made a list of what I want to accomplish, monthly for the next six months and over the course of the next five years. This includes psychological, spiritual and physical goals but it includes my academic and professional goals as well. I have posted it on my school bulletin board by my desk. The way I will assess if I am achieving my goals will not just be based on if the task is done. It will also hinge on how I feel. I will check it monthly and check off what I have accomplished and circle what I need to focus on. I am a very visual person and making list and physically checking things off helps me to stay motivated and focused.
Thanks for reading!
Janena
I like that Janena, “aim for balance and serenity” that makes it easy and I would use that with a client. I have thought about using a fitness trainer too; I feel a little stuck at my current level. I know we slow down some but at 58 I think I should make a little more progress. Deepak Chopra says we age as we do because of we learn from example. I think there is some truth to that.
ReplyDeleteSounds like you are in tune with your body as well as your spirit, I would use that too with a client. It has been very important for me to listen to the sensations in my body, especially the ones in my gut and behind my eyes.
Yoga has served me as well, especially the focus on union…body/mind, other/self… makes sense in terms of integral health; everything is connected.
You are welcome and thanks for letting us read your posts and presenting who you are to the world.
Professionals quite often try to fully care for people without taking care of themselves. It's why they are often sick and have trouble dealing with stress. I have been like this for 30 years, although my patients would probably say I took pretty good care of them. If they only knew what we know now. I think that having a list near you where you will see it every day is the best idea. I plan to set an alarm on my Outlook at work to remind me to review every month. Sounds like you have it together pretty well. Good luck!
ReplyDelete