Friday, February 25, 2011

Loving Kindness Practice/ wk 4


*Describe your experience. (Did you find it beneficial? Difficult?) Why or Why not? Would you recommend this to others? Why or Why not?

My experience has been a positive one as of now (I did start this practice Tuesday not Wednesday). I enjoy my 2/15 minute periods in my day that I get to focus on  me and quiet my mind. In the beginning it was a little difficult because I would fall asleep. I hurt my back recently so I have to practice lying down.  But I change my times of day to practice and have been successful. I would recommend this to a friend. I think it puts an overall peacefulness in my existence.


*What is the concept of “Mental Workout? What does the research indicate are the proven benefits of a Mental Work Out? How can you implement mental workouts to foster your psychological health?

A mental workout - In this course a mental work out is defined as time spent concentrating on learning how our minds work/function. For example, with the loving-kindness practice we are working out our minds; conditioning them to fill with loving-kindness. Spending time in a practice like the loving-kindness practice and/or something very similar are ways we can foster psychological health. Anytime we spend time consciously exploring/developing/cultivating and/or encouraging our minds to function in specific healthy ways we are working towards our psychological growth and overall wellness.  

Janena 

2 comments:

  1. Janena-you have a really good idea of a mental workout,we truly must encourage our minds to support our health, and this is the way to do it. I am actually kind of jealous that you can take two, fifteen minute sessions to practice this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meditation in the morning can be a great way to start the day. It allows you to become focused and start out everyday in a positive, fulfilling mindset. I have found that by meditating about loved ones allows me to appreciate and recognize more things in life I would not have noticed otherwise.

    ReplyDelete